The Rockland County A.A. General Service Committee is our county’s district meeting. While Intergroup exists to help alcoholics in our local community and works independently, our general service district is part of the greater A.A. service structure that extends through our general service area (South Eastern New York, or SENY, Area 49) to our Area Delegate, who carries our Area’s group conscience to the annual General Service Conference, which makes recommendations to the General Service Board, who are responsible for carrying out Conference Actions for the good of A.A. If all that seems complicated – “Do not be discouraged!” We learn as we go…
- Participating home groups elect General Service Representatives
- (GSRs). GSRs attend monthly District Committee Meetings to share information about their groups and receive information from the Area and GSO from our District Committee Member Chair (DCMC) who is elected by the GSRs to represent all the groups in Rockland County at the Area Committee Meeting.
- GSRs attend Area Assemblies where they share ideas and challenges related to their service commitments and receive help and support from other groups. They also represent their groups when voting to elect our Delegate, Area Officers, and make informed decisions on issues affecting how our Area carries the A.A. message, issues affecting AA as a whole, and how Seventh Tradition contributions are spent.
- GSRs cooperate with and join the Rockland County General Service Standing Committees (Archives, Special Needs, Cooperation with the Professional Community), Ad Hoc Committees (Spiritual Breakfast and Service Workshop) and the Intergroup Liaison to inform their groups and participate in service events at the county and Area level.
- Standing Committee Chairs participate in Area Committee Meetings to share their experience with each other to improve communication and outreach to the populations they serve.